What You Need To Know About The Benefits of Horsetail
- Summary: Various types of the horsetail plant are found around the world. Horsetail has been used in traditional medicines for centuries and is now getting attention from the research community.
- Origin: Primarily found wild in the Northern hemisphere, the horsetail plant has been cultivated around the world. There are a number of different species of horsetail.
- Potential Health Benefits and Uses
- Wound Healing
- Oxidative Stress
- Side Effects & Interactions: Always consult with a licensed healthcare provider.
- Additional Information:
What Are The Benefits Of Horsetail?
What Benefits Might I Get From Horsetail?
Though used for centuries in traditional medicines, horsetail is just now getting attention for its potential in wound healing. In a study on pain intensity after episiotomy, horsetail (Equisetum arvense) ointment showed a reduction in inflammation and improved pain relief.
Oxidation is a natural part of human biology. However, modern lifestyle often upends this natural process. Oxidative stress is the result when oxidation goes awry, forming too many free radicals that lead to cell damage.
Antioxidants slow down the oxidation process and reduce free radicals. Horsetail exhibits antibacterial and antioxidant effects but it tends to be very much dose related.
In a clinical study of 36 healthy males, horsetail was on par as a diuretic with the pharmaceutical hydrochlorothiazide and better than the placebo control (i.e., corn starch). Those illnesses that benefit from a diuretic like hydrochlorothiazide might also benefit from horsetail.
Additional Information & References On The Benefit Of Horsetail
You are in charge of your health. Doing a little extra research will not only let you make better decisions but also empower YOU with knowledge of the benefit of horsetail. To help you learn more let HealthCare Too start you with some links:
- Google Scholar
- Equisetum arvense L. Extract Induces Antibacterial Activity and Modulates Oxidative Stress, Inflammation, and Apoptosis in Endothelial Vascular Cells Exposed to Hyperosmotic Stress
- Randomized, Double-Blind Clinical Trial to Assess the Acute Diuretic Effect of Equisetum arvense (Field Horsetail) in Healthy Volunteers
When you are ready, here are some products that may help you experience some of red clover’s health benefits for your own health and household.
Traditional Medicinals Organic Ginger with Chamomile Herbal Leaf Tea$3.99 – $30.51 Select options
Look for more products at HealthCare Too
Horsetail Products for Pets
And don’t forget that our non-human loved ones who might also enjoy the benefits.